Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Changes: also known as "Details in the fabric"

This past year has been a little more eventful than I typically like, mainly because I micro manage details of my life by managing my reactions to them. External factors are unavoidable, but my reaction to them are my own. Some might call it just another version of the "positive thinking" movement, but it is a little different. I know, I know, you are probably thinking that this is a brilliant way to look at life, but there is a downside to this approach: mainly that my reactions are usually tailored to the people around me: I am an expert at pretending to be fine.

The more I convince myself that I am fine, the easier it becomes to be fine when asked. But as I mentioned earlier, this past year, things have not been too fine. My reactions to these events have constituted mostly of denial, frustration and wine consumption (which is an acceptable reaction to ANY situation). Looking back, I wonder how things would have been different if I had acted sooner. When I finally did, I was not ready for the changes that would come along with my decisions, I just knew they meant I was doing the right thing.
 
Don't get me wrong, I am not scared of changes, I am mostly scared of what they bring... there is a subtle distinction there. I like to call this distinction: "details in the fabric" after one of my favorite songs. The details in the fabric remind me of everything that could possibly go wrong after a decision has been made. They remind me that a missed stich can unravel an entire outfit if snagged. They remind me that ultimately I am not in control. But beyond all that, they bring out the best in the garment, and remind me that everything will be fine.
 
Maybe, I was on the right track by striving to manage my reactions to life events. Ultimately, I can only be responsible for my actions. The main lesson here though, is for me to stop pretending that everything is fine when it is not. The details in the fabric may only be visible to me, but they are worth sharing with people around me who often go through the same struggles.



eed

1 comment:

  1. Also helps to have someone with whom to blow off steam! Miss that part of our friendship.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete