Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chasing the sun

I know, I know, there is a already a catchy song titled "Chasing the sun" and it is now stuck in my head (and hopefully yours too!) for at least the next 3 days. You are welcome!

Earlier this year, my friends invited my to start a square foot garden in their backyard and I said yes. I have never grown anything, mind you; my attempts at growing indoor plants a few years ago convinced me that I am definitely not gifted with nurturing vegetation. Anyway, I knew I could not pass up this second chance; besides, it was my friends' first attempt at a garden, so I did not feel too intimidated. We spent the past few Mondays working on our boxes, getting plants, wood, seeds, soil, mulch... and pretty gardening gloves for me (hey, why not!). We were all set to start planting our garden last week, when we were advised to wait until at least May 1st...  So, we are patiently waiting for the next step.

In the meantime, I bought a sunflower growing kit (one of my favorite flowers) and decided to try not to kill it. I did great the first couple of days, and then it happened, I forgot to water it for a whole week. By the time I remembered, I was ready to throw it away and set up a daily reminder on my phone to water the future plants in my friends' yard. To my delight, when I looked at the window, I was relieved to notice that it was not dead...Phew! After faithfully watering it for the past week, I took this picture yesterday evening.

Chasing the sun

I was speechless.... I am not quite sure how Marie Marguerite-or Maggie for short- (that's my flower's name) survived, but I am more intrigued by the way she kept purposely, longingly, and steadfastly chasing the sun. I am amazed at the determination it took her to stay alive despite my best attempts to forget about her. It made me realize that I want to be more like her... focused on chasing the sun, focused on chasing my purpose, focused on chasing nourishment for my soul. Sure, there will be dry seasons, sure there will be obstacles, sure there will be closed doors, but I have a feeling that as long as I keep chasing the sun, everything will be A-OK! 

Thank you for your lesson, Maggie. I promise not to forget about you...

Taking part, 

eed,

No comments:

Post a Comment